Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 18 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
2 small or 1 large apple
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 slices whole wheat bread
4-6 tablespoons Smooth Operator peanut butter
1. Wash, core, and cut the unpeeled apple into 1/8” slices.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and water to a large saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine. Add the sliced apples and make sure to coat them in the liquid mixture.
3. Cover the pan and simmer the apples for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples should be slightly soft but still crisp.
4. Add the vanilla to the pan and mix the apples to make sure that the vanilla gets incorporated.
5. Remove the apples to a plate and leave behind any liquid in the pan.
6. Melt another tablespoon of butter in the pan. Spread 1–1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter on one side of each piece of bread.
7. Divide the sauteed apples in half and place each half on one piece of bread.
8. Place the remaining two pieces of bread, peanut butter side down, on top of the apples. Cook the sandwiches over medium heat until brown, about 2–4 minutes.
9. Carefully flip the sandwiches over and cook the second side for another 2-4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and serve immediately.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
In this recipe Erin adds apples to a peanut butter sandwich. Which variety of apples would you use? Macintosh, Granny Smith, Fuji?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, October 14 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 10/17/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.