This dish is actually very loosely based on Creole gumbo. Celery and onion are classic gumbo veggies, and I used carrot instead of bell pepper. Smoky sausage and a few spices add dimension of flavor, and instead of roux as a thickener, I went with peanut butter. It’s a really fun play on classic Louisiana fare, and as a bonus, it comes together much quicker than most gumbos.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces fully cooked kielbasa-style smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (16-ounce) can no-salt-added white beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a 5-quart pot over medium-high to high heat; add the sausage and cook until browned, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the onion, carrot, and celery to the same pot. Turn the heat down to medium, cover the pot, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic during the last minute of cooking and stir constantly.
3. Stir in the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and bay leaf. Cover the pot, bring to a simmer, and then cook for 10 minutes (covered), stirring occasionally. (Turn the heat down as necessary to keep it at a simmer.)
4. Add the beans and peanut butter and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Taste and add salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce as desired.
5. Serve with the fresh parsley sprinkled on top, if desired.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What is your favorite sausage dish?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, March 2nd, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 3/2/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.