I know deep-frying pretty much cancels out any of the health benefits you’d normally get from tofu, but who cares when you’re gobbling down these delicious golden-brown puffs? A sweet-and-tangy dipping sauce made with The Bee’s Knees peanut butter rounds things out for a tasty snack or appetizer that will have even the tofu doubters asking for seconds.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the tofu bites
1 package (14-ounce) extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the peanut sauce
1/4 cup The Bee’s Knees peanut butter
1/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
1. Wrap the tofu in paper towels, place on a plate, and then top with a heavy cutting board. Let stand for about 30 minutes to press out most of the moisture from the tofu.
2. While the tofu is draining, prepare the peanut sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together The Bee’s Knees peanut butter, boiling water, hoisin sauce, lime juice and Sriracha until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Unwrap the drained tofu and cut into 1″ cubes. Toss the cubes in the corn starch mixture until well coated.
4. Pour 1″ of oil into a large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium-high heat, and heat to 375°F. Working in batches of 4-5 cubes at a time to avoid overcrowding the pan, shallow fry the tofu for 3-5 minutes or until golden-brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
5. Serve the tofu while it’s still piping hot and crispy, with a small bowl of dipping sauce on the side.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other foods would you eat with this sweet and spicy peanut sauce?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of The Bee’s Knees, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, October 27th, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 10/31/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.