Prep time: 30 minutes (+ freezing time)
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon skim milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 cups all purpose flour + extra flour for kneading
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 tablespoon salted butter, melted
shortening to grease
parchment paper for peanut butter chocolate chunks
1. In small saucepan melt the chocolate chips over low flame, about 2 minutes. Once melted, add in the peanut butter and vegetable oil, stirring until well combined. Next, pour mixture into parchment-lined baking dish, distributing evenly. Transfer to freezer and chill for at least 1 hour.
2. When chocolate/PB mixture has hardened, remove from freezer and chop into chunks, then return chunks to freezer until needed.
3. Pre-heat oven to 360°F. Amply grease round 9” baking pan, then set aside.
4. In a small bowl combine the skim milk and white vinegar, stirring gently. Allow ingredients to sit for 10 minutes until the milk begins to curdle.
5. Once the milk curdles, in large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt, whisking until mixed. Next, gently stir in the frozen chocolate chunks.
6. Slowly add the curdled milk to the flour mixture, stirring until your dough begins to take shape – If you need an extra tablespoon or two of plain milk during this step, that’s okay! Once dough has formed, transfer to floured surface and kneed several times before forming into a ball. While kneading the dough the peanut butter chunks will begin to melt and spread – You want this to happen! It’s a bit messy, but use the extra flour as needed to make forming a ball manageable. When ready, transfer dough to greased baking pan.
7. Cut an “X” into the top of the dough, then use a pastry brush to coat the entire surface with melted butter. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean and the top is browned and crisp. Slice and serve immediately, slathering with extra butter or peanut butter as desired.