Chocolate pudding cakes are a fun, fast dessert that’s easy for bakers of all skill levels. But when you add in Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter, this classic cake gets taken to a whole new level of deliciousness! Made with simple ingredients and baked in less than an hour, this is the perfect treat to celebrate any occasion. The chocolate cake bakes up light and fluffy, the peanut butter adds a lusciously savory, nutty flavor, and the rich chocolate fudge sauce that settles beneath the cake is good enough to drink from a straw. All in all, desserts don’t get much tastier (or richer) than this!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
For the cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar + more for greasing
3/4 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
shortening to grease
vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
For the topping:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 10” baking dish with shortening, then sprinkle with a thin film of sugar. Begin boiling water in a kettle or covered saucepan.
- 2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, whisking gently to combine. Next whisk in the granulated sugar, again till combined. Lastly add the milk, butter, and vanilla, stirring until the batter takes shape.
- 3. Pour just over half of the batter into the greased and sugared baking dish. Next, soften the Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter in the microwave for 15 – 20 seconds. Cool slightly, then spoon atop the batter in an even layer. Cover this peanut butter layer with the remaining batter.
- 4. Prepare the topping. In a small mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, and cocoa powder, stirring to combine. Evenly sprinkle this mixture atop the cake batter. Next, slowly pour the boiling water on top, letting the water rest on the surface of the batter – DO NOT mix it!
- 5. Bake on oven middle rack for 35 minutes until the cake is set but still jiggly in the center. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes, then immediately plate and serve! Pair with ice cream if desired.