As I was brainstorming recipes for Father’s Day I knew two foods that had to be involved, peanut butter and chocolate. The combo never, ever, disappoints. Plus, my dad loves this combination, so it just seemed fitting for Father’s Day.
Since the weather is finally turning warmer, the thought of turning on the oven is just no fun. Thus, a frozen chocolate peanut butter pie seemed like just the right answer for a delicious Father’s Day dessert this year. It’s super easy to make and everyone will go wild for it.
So here is how you make it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes plus 4 hours freezing time
Yield: 8 servings
For the Chocolate Crust
2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons salted butter
For the Chocolate Fudge Swirl
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
⅔ cup heavy cream
¼ teaspoon salt
3 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
3 ounces good bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Filling
1 ¾ cups Smooth Operator peanut butter
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold heavy whipping cream, divided
¾ cups powdered sugar
Peanut Butter & Co. Coconut Peanut Brittle, for topping
1. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray or melted butter.
2. Place the chocolate cookies crumbs in a bowl. Add the honey and melted butter, mix until thoroughly combined. Press the crumbs firmly into the prepared pie plate.
3. To make the Chocolate Fudge Swirl: stir together cocoa powder, brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, salt and half of the chopped milk chocolate. Place in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted. Cook mixture at a low boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add remaining chocolate, butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Any leftover sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat over low heat by stirring, or simply use the microwave.
4. To make the Filling: Add the peanut butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract, salt, and 1 cup of the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl and a hand mixer). Beat until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining 1cup of heavy cream and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and whip until smooth, light and fluffy.
5. To assemble: Drizzle the chocolate fudge sauce in the bottom of the pie. Add half the peanut butter filling and then drizzle with more fudge sauce. Add the remaining peanut butter filling, smoothing out the top to make an even layer. Drizzle with more fudge sauce.
6. Cover and freeze at least four hours or overnight. When ready to serve remove the pie from the freezer and top with 1 cup of coconut peanut brittle. Allow the pie to soften 5-10 minutes before serving.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Tieghan covers her pie with coconut brittle. What other toppings would you service this chocolate peanut butter pie with?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, June 16, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 06/19/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of The Heat Is On peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.