Riddle me this: why should burgers and hot dogs have all the summer grilling fun? Well, the answer is that they shouldn’t, and to prove my case, I’d like to present a little something called Grilled Peanut Butter Pound Cake.
I promise you, it’s as amazing as it sounds, and it’s really not hard to make. Start by making a crave-worthy pound cake infused with the sweet honey scent of The Bee’s Knees; next, resist temptation to eat the entire thing for the moment and put buttered slices on a sheet of foil on the grill, or on a buttered grill pan (yes, this can be done all year long!). In just a few minutes, your pound cake slices will be nice and toasty, and delicious for eating straight, or topping with fresh berries, or, if you’re feeling particularly naughty, some ice cream, too.
Note: Just be sure to prepare this before grilling meats on an outdoor grill, because you don’t want to impart a burger flavor to your dessert!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes, plus cooling time
Yield: 8 servings
For the cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup The Bee’s Knees peanut butter
Other things you’ll want to have on hand
Butter, for the pan
Grill, or grill pan
Berries, ice cream, or other toppings (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9×9-inch square baking pan. (Yes, you heard that right. I know you’re used to baking pound cake in a loaf pan, and that is possible with this recipe, but I found that the slices from a 9×9-inch pan handled better on the grill.)
2. Sift the flour and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition. Pause occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Still on low speed, stir in the vanilla and peanut butter at the same time, allowing the mixture to become smooth.
5. Add the flour mixture to the wet mix, and mix on low speed only until it has all been combined.
6. Spread the batter (it will be decidedly thick) into your prepared pan.
7. Bake 30 to 35 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before inverting on to a plate or wire rack to cool completely.
9. Slice the cake into 8 “fingers” by slicing the cake in half in one direction, and each half into four equal rectangles.
10. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-low. Brush the pound cake slices with melted butter. Grill until the cake is toasted, about 2 minutes on each side or until the grill marks have reached your desired “char” level. I liked to flip mine using tongs.
11. Serve the cake warm; if desired, top with berries (highly suggested) and/or ice cream.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other kinds of different cooking methods would you like to see us apply to classic desserts?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of The Bee’s Knees, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 7/9/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.