Recipe notes: you are welcome to make your own dulce de leche (in fact, I applaud you if you do), but I found that the store-bought kind works just fine. Also, traditionally these cookies are dusted with confectioners’ sugar before serving, but I didn’t like what it did to the cookies’ texture, so I went without.
Prep time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 24 sandwiches
1 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into ½ inch pieces and softened but still cool
1 tablespoon Smooth Operator peanut butter
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces cup dulce de leche
8 ounces Smooth Operator peanut butter, at room temperature
1. In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and mix briefly.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture, along with the peanut butter, using two forks or a pastry cutter to combine.
3. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, and mix until the dough is homogeneous and smooth.
4. Divide the dough in half and form two disks. Wrap in plastic. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes (it will make rolling it out easier).
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll out dough to 1/4” thickness, and cutting into 2 inch circles (although you can also cut out shapes if you’d like; I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to make a few unicorn cookies).
7. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch around each cookie to allow for minimal spreading.
8. Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, until they are barely golden brown.
9. Let cookies cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to rack to cool completely (they are quite fragile until they cool).
10.While the cookies cool, prepare the filling: in a medium bowl, mix the dulce de leche and peanut butter until smooth and combined.
11.Once the cookies are cool, spoon filling on to the bottom of one cookie, and then sandwich another on top, so the bottom side is on the filling. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Jessie has some fun and cuts some of the dough into unicorns. What’s your favorite cookie cutter shape?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator the peanut butter used in this recipe!
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, November 12, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 11/15/12 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter ($5 value). Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
SEARCH FOR A RECIPE
- Appetizer, Breakfast, Brunch, Cake, Chicken, Chocolate, Cookies, Crunch Time, dairy-free, Dark Chocolate Dreams, Dessert, Dinner, Frosting, Gluten-free, healthy, Lunch, Mighty Maple, Old Fashioned Crunchy, Old Fashioned Smooth, Peanut butter, Peanut Butter & Co., Peanut Butter and Jelly, Pie, recipe, Sandwich, Savory, Side dish, smoothies, Smooth Operator, Snack, Spicy, Summer, Sweet, Sweets, Thanksgiving, The Bee's Knees, The Heat is On, Treats, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, video recipe, videos, White Chocolate Wonderful, youtube
- 31 Days of Dark Chocolate Dreams
- Alejandra Ramos
- Amelia Winslow
- Amie Valpone
- Amy Green
- Annalise Sandberg
- Beth Baumgartner
- Brandi Evans
- Caroline Wright
- Caroline Yoder
- Christine Fischer
- Elisa Strauss
- Erin D.
- Evan Thomas
- Faith Gorsky
- Hannah Queen
- Helen Graves
- Irvin Lin
- Isabelle Boucher
- Jacqui Scoggin
- Jeanne Horak
- Jenn Kurkiewicz
- Jennifer Dempsey
- Jennifer Orcutt
- Jessie Oleson
- Julie Van Rosendaal
- Katie Bryson
- Kayle Blogna
- Kelsey Banfield
- Kris Schoels
- Lauren Zembron
- Lizzie Mabbot
- Lori Twitchell
- Marc Matsumoto
- Margaret Darazs
- Matt Weber
- Michelle Minnaar
- Pamela Reed
- Sally McKenney
- Sanura Weathers
- Stephanie Eddy
- Tieghan Gerard
- Tina Haupert
- Valerie Harrison
- Peanut Butter Chicken Chili
- Banana-Hemp PB Smoothie and Chocolate-Covered Strawberry PB Breakfast Shake
- Peanut Butter & Oat Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding with Candied Oats
- Peanut Butter, White Chocolate, & Apricot Tartlets
- Chipotle Sweet Potato & Peanut Butter Wrap
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Yogurt Parfait
- Peanut Butter Tempeh Kebabs
- Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles with Ground Beef
- Peanut Butter, Bacon, & Leek Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pots de Crème