Up until a month or so ago I had never heard of a Croque Madame sandwich, but I came across a photo of one and was kind of blown away. It is like a grilled cheese, but so much better. The sandwich has a béchamel sauce, ham, more cheese and an egg on top. Obviously, I had to make it, but with my own twist. I swapped the ham for bacon and let’s just say it was better than good. It was awesome!
That got me to thinking about swapping the béchamel for something. That something being peanut butter. I know it sounds crazy, but you guys, I promise it is so good. Just try me, you are going to love it. Nothing beats the combo of peanut butter and bacon!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
8 slices thick cut bacon
4 slices rye, whole grain or pumpernickel bread
2 tablespoons butter, at room temp
4-6 tablespoons Smooth Operator peanut butter
½ cup smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
2 large eggs, cooked to your liking
salt + pepper, taste
crushed red pepper, for sprinkling (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the bacon in a single layer on the foil. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy, rotating the pan half way through.
3. Butter the outside of 4 slices of bread. Spread the inside of each slice of bread with 2-3 tablespoons peanut butter. Place 4 slices bacon onto of the peanut butter and sandwich the pieces of bread together.
4. Preheat the broiler to high.
5. Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat. Melt a tablespoon of butter and place both sandwiches in the skillet, cook for 2 minutes per side or until golden and crisp. Remove from the skillet and top each sandwich with the shredded Gouda cheese. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 30 seconds to melt the cheese (watch closely!). (This is when I cooked my eggs)
6. Remove from the oven and top each sandwich with and egg. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes. EAT!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other notable sandwiches would you give a peanut butter twist to?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, July 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 07/17/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.