Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 tartlets
1 sheet (1/2 pound) frozen puff pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight
1 large leek
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 strips turkey bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
1 scallion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced (for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a 9- by 12-inch rectangle; make 3 cuts lengthwise and 4 cuts across so that you end up with 12 small squares. Press each square of pastry into a mini muffin cup. Cover the muffin tray with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge to chill while you make the filling.
2. Remove the 1 to 2 outer leaves from the leek and trim off the stem end and the dark green portion. Quarter the leek lengthwise, and then thinly slice it. Rinse it thoroughly under cold running water to remove any sand, then drain and set aside.
3. Heat the butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the leek and cook until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the water and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits off the bottom; cook until the water is evaporated, about 1 minute. Turn off heat and stir in the peanut butter.
4. Fill the pastries with about 1 tablespoon of filling each (you will have about 3 tablespoons of filling leftover – it’s delicious spread on toast), and bake until the pastries are puffed and golden, about 20 to 24 minutes. Sprinkle scallion on top and serve.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Faith pairs bacon and leeks with peanut butter to create these little bites. What other savory combo would work well here with the peanut butter?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Smooth, the peanut butter used in this recipe!
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, August 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 8/31/12 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter ($5 value). Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.