Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total time: 6 hours
Yield: 8 servings
1 pound dry white beans
1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
4 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1. Let the beans soak in water overnight. Drain the soaking water and put the beans into a large pot with the onion and about twice the volume of water as beans.
2. Boil the pot over a stove for 90 minutes, keeping an eye on the pot and scooping off the white foam that appears at the top of the water occasionally.
3. After cooking, remove the beans from the stove and drain the water.
4. Combine the beans with the rest of the ingredients into a crock pot, stirring to mix.
5. Cook on high for 4 hours until the sauce has thickened and the beans are tender, stirring the pot occasionally to make sure the sauce doesn’t stick or burn.
6. Keep the beans hot either in the crock pot or a warming dish until serving. Store leftovers in a seal-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What main dish would you pair with Evan’s Peanut Butter Baked Beans? Leave a comment below and on Monday, July 2, 2012 we’ll choose a random commenter to win a 16oz jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe! US residents only.