The name of this dessert comes from the fact that all ingredients are literally dumped into a dish and baked – no stirring required! Somewhere between a fruit cobbler and a cake, it’s delicious and surprisingly addictive. In addition to the classic components of crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling, this version also includes peanut butter and bananas, drawing inspiration from a banana split. Serve this cake warm topped with a generous dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry, and for nutty crunch, you could add a sprinkling of chopped honey-roasted peanuts.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55-65 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 12-16 servings; one 9×13-inch cake
1 (21 oz) can crushed pineapple with juices
1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
2 medium-large bananas, peeled and sliced
1 (18 oz) box yellow cake mix
3/4 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Smooth Operator peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Pour the crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and spread it out.
- 3. Arrange the banana slices on top.
- 4. Sprinkle on the yellow cake mix.
- 5. Dollop on the peanut butter, and dot the butter on top.
- 6. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- 7. Serve warm, topped with whipped cream and maraschino cherries if desired.