Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the sauce
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon fermented black beans
3 1/2 tablespoons chili bean paste
2 tablespoons rice wine
2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground Szechuan peppercorns
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
For the stir fry
2 tablespoons canola oil
10 ounces medium ground pork
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 pound soft or medium tofu cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
1/3 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Jumbo Spicy Peanuts, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
1. Whisk together the chicken stock, black beans, chili bean paste, rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and Szechuan peppercorns until combined. Then whisk in the peanut butter until smooth. Set the bowl near your wok.
2. Thinly slice the white part of the leeks, mince the garlic, and put in a bowl with the ginger. Put the bowl near your wok so that is close at hand.
3. Heat the wok over medium high heat, then add the canola oil and heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the ground pork and stir-fry while breaking the pork into smaller pieces until cooked through and crispy. Add the leeks, garlic, and ginger and stir fry until the leeks are soft.
4. Pour in the sauce, stir, then cover and bring to a simmer. Add the tofu cubes and gently stir to coat them in the sauce. Bring the wok to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes to give the tofu time to absorb some of the sauce.
5. Make a well in the center of the wok and pour in the cornstarch and water mixture. Gently stir, then bring the wok to a simmer to thicken the sauce (approximately 1-2 minutes). Pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and sliced green onions. Serve over bowls of rice.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other kinds of Szechuan dishes would you like to see us make?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Tuesday, November 19th, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 11/26/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.