What I absolutely love about a classic Monte Cristo sandwich is the delicious sweet/savory combination of flavors. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s traditionally a ham and cheese sandwich dipped in egg batter, pan-fried, and then served with a dusting of powdered sugar on top and a side of preserves for dipping. This version adds both a smoky component (with turkey bacon) and a salty component (with peanut butter), which really takes it to the next level. A sprinkling of roasted, salted peanuts on top along with the powdered sugar makes it perfect.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total time: 22 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
3 slices turkey bacon, each chopped into 3 to 4 (about 1-inch) pieces
2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Peanut Butter & Co. Golden Roasted Peanuts
1 large egg
⅓ cup milk (I used 1%)
1 pinch black pepper
2 tablespoons Smooth Operator peanut butter
4 slices sandwich bread
4 slices deli-slices turkey breast
1½ teaspoons powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Peanut Butter & Co. Seriously Strawberry Jam
1. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to a medium (preferably nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes, flipping once. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil and set aside.
2. Shred the cheese.
3. Finely chop the peanuts.
4. In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, salt, and pepper.
5. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter on 2 slices of bread. Top each with 2 slices of turkey breast, and half of the turkey bacon. Divide the shredded cheese on top of the remaining 2 slices of bread. Carefully lift each cheese-topped bread slice and place it on top of the turkey bacon-topped bread slice.
6. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons canola to a large skillet over medium heat; once hot, briefly dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture, and then place the sandwiches into the hot skillet. Cook until the sandwiches are golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping once.
7. Transfer each sandwich to a plate, sprinkle the powdered sugar on top, and sprinkle on the finely chopped peanuts.
8. Serve immediately, with the strawberry jam on the side for dipping.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
In this recipe Faith adds peanut butter to the classic Monte Cristo sandwich. What other classic sandwiches would you consider adding peanut butter to for a nutty twist?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, March 3, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 03/6/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.