Also topped with an irresistible peanut butter barbecue glaze, this vegetarian lentil meatloaf is sure to become a favorite in any household.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 5 hours minutes
Yield: 1 (9×5 inch) loaf
2 tablespoons golden flax seeds
6 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushrooms, diced finely
2 cups fresh arugula
1 sprig fresh oregano, minced
2 cups lentils, cooked and cooled, divided
1 cup old-fashioned oats, divided
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
5 tablespoons Smooth Operator peanut butter, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Combine the flax seeds and hot water in a small bowl and stir. Set aside. In another small bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce and 3 tablespoons peanut butter until completely combined. Set aside.
3. In a large frying pan on medium heat, heat up the olive oil. Add in the garlic, onion, mushrooms and minced oregano. Let cook until the onions are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the fresh arugula and cook down until wilted. Turn off the burner and remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and set aside.
4. In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 1/2 cups of the lentils and 1/2 cup oats. Blend until mixture is smooth (it is okay if a few bits remain).
5. In a large bowl, combine the blended mixture, the sautéed vegetables, remaining peanut butter, 1/2 cup oats, flour, 1/2 cup lentils, and the flax mixture. Stir until it becomes too hard to stir with a spoon. Use your hands to combine all of the ingredients.
6. Line a 9 x 5-inch baking dish with parchment paper and pour the mixture into it. Spread it evenly into the pan and use your hands to pack it in. Pour the remaining barbecue sauce mixture atop the meatloaf and brush it on.
7. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes before removing the meatloaf from the pan. Let it cool for an additional 5 minutes out of pan to make it easier to slice. Cut and serve.
Recipe adapted from Healthful Pursuit