Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5-7 hours
Total time: 5 hours and 30 minutes to 7 hours and 30 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
For the pork
1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 (2 pound) pork shoulder
1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1/3 cup Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
1 tablespoon cold water
For the rice
1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups water or chicken stock
For the stir-fry vegetables
2 tablespoons seasame oil
5 cups broccoli florets
4 cups sliced baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
3 cups (1 large) bell pepper, cut into large dice
2 medium zucchini, cut in half and sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
1/4 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Golden Roasted Peanuts
1. Put the sliced bell pepper in the bottom of a large slow cooker. The slow cooker should be large enough to accommodate the pork without it touching the sides. (If it touches a little in one or two places that’s ok.) Place the pork on top of the sliced bell pepper.
2. Whisk together the soy sauce or coconut aminos, garlic, coconut palm sugar, and rice vinegar. Pour the mixture on top of the pork. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
3. Once the meat is cooked, remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred it.
4. Strain the remaining juice into a medium sauce pan. Discard any solids. You can also use a gravy separator to remove much of the fat in the sauce at this point.
5. Heat the sauce and whisk in the peanut butter.
6. Stir together the cornstarch and water. Whisk the mixture into the peanut butter sauce. Return the meat to the slow cooker and mix in a generous amount of sauce. You may not use all of the sauce; that’s ok. Keep it for serving.
7. If the sauce thickens as it sits, just whisk in a little water until it reaches the desired consistency.
Make the rice
Put the rice and water or stock in a medium sauce pan. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Let rice stand for 5 minutes covered then uncover and fluff with a fork. Keep warm until served.
Make the stir fry vegetables
Heat the sesame oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, until the broccoli is bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for another two minutes, just until it begins to get soft. Add the zucchini and cook for another two or three minutes, until the zucchini becomes tender but still solid. Stir in the green onions. Remove from heat and keep warm. Sprinkle the Golden Roasted Peanuts over the vegetables just before serving.
Put the rice in a bowl or on a plate. Top with stir-fry vegetables, then top the vegetables with the slow cooker pork. If you have extra sauce, serve it warm on the side.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other slow cooker meals would you add peanut butter to?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Smooth, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, November 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 11/21/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.