For this dish, I’ve combined all of the things I love so much about Vietnamese food in a refreshing summer salad. It’s got it all – the slippery rice stick noodles, the crunchy fresh vegetables, the bright fresh herbs, and a tangy ginger and peanut butter dressing that does double-duty as a marinade for the grilled shrimp that sit atop it all. It’s an absolutely delicious and refreshing recipe that’s perfect for warmer weather headed our way.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For Ginger-Peanut Dressing
1/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
For Vermicelli Salad
1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounce rice stick noodles
1 English cucumber, cut into small matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Make the Ginger-Peanut Dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, rice vinegar, lime juice, honey, lemongrass paste, ginger, soy sauce and water.
Prepare the Vermicelli Salad
1. In a large zip-top plastic bag, combine the shrimp with half of the dressing. Toss to coat, then transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water as per package directions. Drain well and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
3. Preheat a lightly oil gas or charcoal grill (or a lightly oiled grill pan, if you don’t have an outdoor grill.)
4. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread onto four metal skewers. Arrange on the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are pink and barely opaque all the way through.
5. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the noodles with the cucumber, red pepper, green onion and bean sprouts. Pour over the remainder of the dressing, and toss to coat evenly.
6. To assemble, divide the noodle salad between four serving bowls, and top each one with a skewer of grilled shrimp. Serve immediately.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other peanut butter and shrimp recipes would you like to see?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Thursday, May 12th, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 5/28/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.