In this recipe the classic Italian dessert gets a nutty spin. Creamy peanut butter is whipped into the mascarpone and instead of using lady fingers slices of pound cake are soaked in the espresso and rum.
Garnished with chopped peanuts and shaved chocolate, this stunning dessert will surely please Mom this Mother’s Day!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
5 large egg yolks (preferably from pastured eggs)
3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 pound (16-ounce) mascarpone cheese
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup Smooth Operator
¼ cup heavy cream
2 cups espresso, cooled
½ cup dark rum
2 store-bought pound cakes (such as Entenmann’s), cut into ¾” slices
¼ cup roasted salted peanuts, finely ground
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup shaved chocolate, for garnish
1. Combine espresso and rum in a large shallow bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat sugar and egg yolks in a stand mixer until thick and light in color, about 4 minutes. Beat in the mascarpone, vanilla, peanut butter, and heavy cream until smooth and light. Set aside.
3. Dip the pound cake slices in the espresso mixture until soaked (about 2 seconds each side), then arranged on the bottom of an 8” square baking pan. Repeat until the entire layer is filled.
4. Spread 1/2 of the mascarpone peanut butter mixture evenly over the soaked cake.
5. Repeat another layer of the soaked cake, followed by another layer of mascarpone.
6. Dust with ground peanuts and cocoa powder, then cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours up to overnight.
7. Garnish with shaved chocolate just before serving.