Today, March 25, is International Waffle Day and we’re celebrating with not just another old waffle recipe. These whole wheat peanut butter banana waffles use crunchy peanut butter which gives them a wonderfully nutty texture.
It’s just like eating banana bread for breakfast but in waffle form – and you get to amp it up some more with toppings or syrup!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 small square waffles or 2 large round waffles
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
⅓ cup Crunch Time peanut butter
1 very ripe medium banana, mashed
1 ¾ cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter & syrup, for serving
1. Preheat waffle iron per manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. Using a blender, blend butter, peanut butter, banana, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla until fully combined.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine until no dry spots remain.
5. Add batter to your waffle iron and follow manufacturer’s instructions.