My mother is crazy about French toast, raspberries and chocolate. She tended her own raspberry bush and would often use the sweet berries in breakfasts and desserts. This easy brunch dish combines the best of both worlds – chocolatey, nutty Chocmeister, fresh berries, crusty bread and a sweet, eggy custard. To finish, I’ve added an optional raspberry-red wine sauce that can be made the night before. Best of all, it’s perfect for lazy weekends. Prep the recipe overnight and then bake in the morning. Sweet and decadent, Chocmeister Raspberry Overnight French Toast is the perfect start to any weekend.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
4 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 loaf of French bread, day-old preferred
1 jar of Milk Chocolatey Chocmeister
1 jar of raspberry preserves
1 pint of fresh raspberries
Raspberry-Red Wine Sauce
2 pints fresh raspberries (frozen works well here too)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons red wine
1. Line a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Make the custard: whisk together milk, cream, eggs, sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Cut the bread into 3/4-inch slices. Spread half the slices with Chocmeister and half with raspberry jam. Combine the slices to make Chocmeister-Raspberry jam sandwiches. Cut each sandwich into 2-inch cubes.
4. Layer the cubes in the baking pan and top with fresh raspberries. Pour the custard over the French toast. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
5. To bake, heat an oven to 350 degrees and bake 35-45 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown.
6. For Raspberry-Red Wine Sauce, combine fresh raspberries, water, lemon juice and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, crushing berries with the back of a spoon. Allow to cook until a sauce forms and slightly thickens. Remove from heat and stir in red wine. Allow to cool before serving. This sauce can be made 1 day ahead.