Chocolate Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 cookies sandwiches
For the Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
For the Peanut Butter Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
2. Using an electric or stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until combined. Add flour and cocoa powder to butter mixture and mix until mixture forms into a soft dough.
3. Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Place baking sheet with cookie dough balls in the freezer for 10 minutes. Once chilled, slightly press down the cookie dough balls and place back onto prepared cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges become slightly darker. Cool on wire rack.
5. To make the filling: using an electric or stand mixer, beat butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Mix in salt, and slowly add the powdered sugar. Add vanilla extract and heavy whipping cream. Beat until creamy and smooth.
6. Using a knife, frost half with the peanut butter frosting and sandwich with the other half, pressing the top cookies onto the frosting (this will enable the frosting to spread to the edges).
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other kinds of chocolaty cookies would you like to see us make?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Tuesday, December 24th, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 1/1/16 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
Spread the word:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
SEARCH FOR A RECIPE
- Appetizer, Breakfast, Brunch, Cake, Chicken, Chocolate, Cookies, Crunch Time, dairy-free, Dark Chocolate Dreams, Dessert, Dinner, Frosting, Gluten-free, healthy, Lunch, Mighty Maple, oatmeal, Old Fashioned Smooth, Peanut butter, Peanut Butter & Co., Peanut Butter and Jelly, Pie, recipe, Sandwich, Savory, Side dish, smoothies, Smooth Operator, Snack, Spicy, Summer, Sweet, Sweets, Thanksgiving, The Bee's Knees, The Heat is On, Treats, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, video recipe, videos, White Chocolate Wonderful, youtube