Iced Christmas Tree Peanut Butter Cookies
Here I took cut-outs to the next level with a peanut butter makeover! These cookies are crispy outside, chewy inside, and bursting with peanut butter flavor. After eating them you might never want a regular cut-out cookie again (which is really saying a lot!). If you’ve never made cut-outs before, don’t worry because the dough is pretty easy to handle; I think once you see how painless they are to make, these might just become your go-to cookie.
Topped with a simple glaze and colorful sugar or sprinkles, these cookies are perfect for getting into a holiday mood!
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Yield: 18-24 cookies
For the cookies
3/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more to roll out the dough
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
For the glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water (slightly more or less as needed)
Colored sugar or sprinkles, for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper.
2. For the cookies, cream together the peanut butter, butter, and sugar, and then stir in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir to combine. Knead the dough a couple times to form it into a ball, then flatten it slightly into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 20 minutes.
3. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Use a Christmas tree cookie cutter to stamp out Christmas trees (or any other shape you like), and then arrange the cookies about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Collect the dough scraps, re-roll the dough, and stamp out more cookies until all the dough is used. (Try to not have to re-roll more than 3 times because the dough gets harder to work with as more flour gets incorporated into it.)
4. Bake the cookies 1 tray at a time until golden brown, about 9 to 11 minutes. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the tray, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze. While stirring, gradually add enough water to the powdered sugar so it reaches your desired consistency.
6. Spread a thin layer of glaze on a cooled cookie and immediately sprinkle on colored sugar or sprinkles; repeat until all the cookies have been glazed and decorated. Let the glaze set before serving.
Note: You can store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What are your favorite cookie cutter shapes?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, December 22nd, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 12/31/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
Spread the word:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
SEARCH FOR A RECIPE
- Appetizer, Breakfast, Brunch, Cake, Chicken, Chocolate, Cookies, Crunch Time, dairy-free, Dark Chocolate Dreams, Dessert, Dinner, Frosting, Gluten-free, healthy, Lunch, Mighty Maple, oatmeal, Old Fashioned Smooth, Peanut butter, Peanut Butter & Co., Peanut Butter and Jelly, Pie, recipe, Sandwich, Savory, Side dish, smoothies, Smooth Operator, Snack, Spicy, Summer, Sweet, Sweets, Thanksgiving, The Bee's Knees, The Heat is On, Treats, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, video recipe, videos, White Chocolate Wonderful, youtube