Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: None
Total time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
4 slices whole wheat bread
1/4 cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
2 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce (recipe for my homemade Cranberry-Cherry Sauce follows below)
1/4 cup sweet potato puree (bake a medium-sized sweet potato at 400°F for 1 hour, cool, peel, and puree; then measure out 1/4 cup)
4 slices leftover turkey breast (or 4 slices deli turkey meat or 4 slices poached chicken breast, cooled)
1. Spread each of 2 slices of bread with 2 tablespoons Mighty Maple peanut butter.
2. Evenly distribute the sweet potato puree and cranberry sauce between the other 2 slices of bread.
3. Evenly divide the turkey (or chicken) between the peanut butter-covered bread slices. Top with the sweet potato and cranberry sauce-covered bread slices.
4 cups frozen cherries
2 cups frozen cranberries
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup dried cherries
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon pure maple or vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring to mix.
2. Place on stove over medium-high heat until the fruit begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes.
3. Reduce stove heat to low and simmer until fruit breaks down and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring often. If the cranberries need a little help breaking down, gently press with the back of a spoon until they burst.
4. Cool to room temperature and then chill in the refrigerator until cold.
What other Thanksgiving leftovers would you add to this Gobbler Sandwich? Leave a comment below and on Monday, November 28, 2011 we’ll choose a random commenter to win a jar of Mighty Maple, the peanut butter used in this recipe! US residents only.