The cake is easy to assemble, thanks to its unpolished presentation. Leaving the sides unfrosted allows you to see all of the fun layers, and lets the caramel drip down the sides. The caramel will keep on dripping, however, so it’s best served immediately or stored in the fridge.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: 1 9-inch cake
For the cake
3/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the peanut butter frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
For the topping
1 small jar caramel topping
3 medium bananas, chopped
1. To make the cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer, beat the peanut butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, and the mixture sticks to the sides of the bowl. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract in a third bowl. Alternately add the wet and dry ingredients to the mixer in 3 additions, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
4. Pour 1/3 of the batter into each prepared cake pan. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cakes cool 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Clean one of the cake pans, re-grease and line with more parchment paper. Add the remaining third of the batter into the prepared pan and bake the same as the others. (Note: if you have 3 cake pans, you can bake the cakes all at once, placing one on the bottom rack in the oven. Rotate cake pans halfway through baking time.)
6. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add enough milk or cream to get a spreadable consistency. Beat on high another 1-2 minutes until light and creamy.
7. To assemble the cake, place 1 cake layer on a cake stand or display plate. Cover with 1/3 of the frosting. Spoon enough caramel topping over the frosting to cover. Top with bananas. Repeat with remaining cake layers and frosting.
8. Serve cake immediately, or immediately place cake in the fridge until ready to serve to prevent the caramel sauce from dripping too much.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other kinds of cakes would you like to see us add peanut butter to?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Thursday, June 18th, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 6/25/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.