The crunchy peanut butter not only adds texture but also tempers the sweetness that baklava is known for!
Prep time: 50 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Yield: 32 miniature baklava
1 cup Crunch Time peanut butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey, divided
1/2 cup water
3 strips orange zest
1/2 (1-pound) package frozen phyllo dough
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine peanut butter and cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl and heat 1 minute until warm and fluid. Stir to combine.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, honey, water and orange zest. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in honey and set aside, covered, until ready to use.
3. To assemble baklava, butter a 9-inch square metal baking dish. Cut stack of phyllo sheets in half lengthwise, then trim halves to fit bottom of pan. (As you work, store unused phyllo under damp paper towels to avoid drying out.)
4. Place two layers of phyllo in prepared pan. Brush phyllo in pan with melted butter; top with a second layer of 2 sheets of phyllo. Repeat once more until you have a layer of 6 sheets of phyllo, buttering in between. Top phyllo with enough peanut butter mixture for a thin layer, spreading carefully so phyllo doesn’t rip. Repeat layers of 6 sheets of phyllo and nut spread 2 more times, ending on a layer of phyllo.
5. Butter top of baklava, and cut into 16 squares; cut each square into two triangles. Bake baklava 50 to 60 minutes or until baklava is golden brown.
6. Pour syrup over hot baklava once removed from oven (remove orange peel). Cool baklava completely in pan set on a wire rack.