Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours and 30 minutes (includes 3 hours of cooling time)
Yield: 1 9×13-inch pan of marshmallows
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons plus 2 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
2 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons icing sugar
The secret to marshmallow success is to have all of your ingredients ready and at hand.
1. In a small bowl, stir together the powdered gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water. Place in your microwave so that it will be ready to heat up when necessary.
2. Place the two egg whites in the bowl of your mixer – do not turn it on yet. Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan with parchment paper and grease the sides. Set aside.
3. In a medium sized pot, stir together the 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, corn syrup, and salt. Place the pot over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is boiling. Stop stirring and allow to boil on medium heat while monitoring the temperature with the thermometer.
4. Once the temperature hits 220°F, turn your mixer on high to whip the egg whites into stiff peaks. Heat the gelatin in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to melt it. Keep an eye on the syrup’s temperature and remove it from the heat as soon as it hits 240°F.
5. Set the pot of syrup beside your mixer (careful, it’s hot!) and take the melted gelatin from the microwave. With the mixer still running, slowly pour the gelatin in a thin stream.
6. Next, turn the mixer’s speed to medium and slowly pour the syrup into the mixer’s bowl in a thin stream. Once all of the syrup has been added, turn the mixer to high and beat for 10-12 minutes until mixer’s bowl has cooled to room temperature and the marshmallow mixture is thick and fluffy.
7. Using a spatula, scoop out approximately 1/4 of the marshmallow fluff into a bowl. Gently fold in the 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter until the mixture is light brown and mostly combined.
8. Scrape the peanut butter marshmallow back into the mixer bowl, pour in the teaspoon of vanilla, then gently (this is important!) fold in the peanut butter marshmallow 3-4 times. Do not over fold or you risk deflating the marshmallow too much. The peanut butter marshmallow should not combine completely; it will create swirls in the plain marshmallow mixture.
9. Scrape the marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan and gently smooth it down. Use a wet or greased spatula to prevent it from sticking.
10. Drizzle the two tablespoons of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter over the top of the smoothed marshmallow, then use a toothpick or chopstick to pull it into swirls along the top. Allow the marshmallows to set completely (approximately 3 hours to overnight).
11. Stir together the cornstarch and icing sugar and sprinkle some of it over the top of the marshmallows. Then use a knife to slice the marshmallows into cubes and toss the cubes in the icing sugar/cornstarch mixture to coat the sticky sides. Shake off the excess.
12. Package the marshmallows in little boxes, bags, or plastic Easter eggs and tuck away in baskets for a seasonal surprise!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What is your favorite food to put marshmallows on?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of of Old Fashioned Smooth, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, March 30th, 2015 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 4/6/15 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.