Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
1 (1-pound) loaf crusty country-style white bread
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 cup Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 cups heavy whipping cream
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously grease a 9×13-inch glass baking dish. Set to the side.
2. Cut bread into approximately 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in very large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic begins to lightly brown. If it starts to bubble too much, reduce heat to low. Add the peanut butter and reduce the heat to low if you haven’t already, stirring until combined, forming a thick liquid. Pour this mixture on top of the bread cubes, and stir to evenly coat all of the pieces. Stir in the parsley and celery. If you’d like, stir in any herbs or spices you enjoy (rosemary, thyme, pepper).
4. Place the cubes in the pan and bake for 20 minutes, pausing midway to stir them. Remove the pan from the oven and place the bread bits back in the same bowl you used to mix before. I realize this is strange, but stay with me. This initial baking will give the bread pieces a nice, lightly toasty texture that you’ll thank me for later. Keep the baking pan close by because you are going to re-load it shortly (you can wash it, but you don’t have to).
5. Mix together the eggs and cream. Pour on top of the peanut butter bread pieces, stirring to coat evenly. At this point, if you’re exhausted, you can keep it all in the bowl, cover it, and deal with the rest in the morning. But if you’re full of vim and vigor, please proceed.
6. Reduce oven heat (or preheat, if you’ve taken a break) to 350°F. Place the mixture back in your baking pan. Bake stuffing uncovered until set and top is golden, about 1 hour. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
In this recipe Jessie makes a Thanksgiving treat with peanut butter. Which is your favorite holiday recipe using peanut butter?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, October 28, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 10/3113 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.