Summer rolls are a big favorite of mine; they’re healthy and packed full of fresh flavors. Though they’re fiddly and time consuming to make, it’s worth the wait and you only get better at it once you have the hang of the rolling and folding. The crunchy, peanutty sauce gives it a bonus richness which contrasts those summery flavors well.
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: N/A
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: serves 4 as a starter or snack
1 packet of Vietnamese summer roll wrappers
1 spring onion
½ red pepper
½ yellow pepper
4 leaves iceberg lettuce
About 2 ounces/50 grams dry weight of glass noodles
A small handful of coriander
10 leaves of mint
15 large king prawns, cooked and halved lengthwise
For the sauce
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
About ¼ cup/6 grams Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut putter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1. Slice the spring onion in half lengthways and then slice into shreds. Slice the red pepper and yellow pepper thinly, and shred the lettuce. Cook the glass noodles as per packet instructions and cool under cold running water. Julienne the carrot and finely mince the coriander and mint, and then toss all of these together.
2. Thoroughly mix together the sauce mixture; you may need to add a little water to loosen.
3. To prepare, you need a big bowl of hot water and a plate covered with a tea towel. Slide the summer roll wrapper into the hot water and leave for 20 seconds; it will soften. A delicate touch is needed here. Fish the wrapper out and lay out of a dry tea towel. You may need to carefully flip it over to get rid of excess water. Lay out two halves of a prawn towards the bottom half of the circle and top with the vegetable noodle mixture. To fold, bring the bottom of the circle up over the prawn mound and then fold the two sides into it, rolling and tucking the contents as you go into a round rectangular shape. Set to one side while you roll the rest.
Note: You can make these in advance by draping a moist kitchen paper over the rolls until you are ready to serve.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other ways do you think you could use this peanut butter sauce?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, July 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 07/31/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.