These golden brown corn dogs get a peanut butter makeover with the addition of Mighty Maple peanut butter to the corn bread batter.
The fried crunchy breading, the sweet peanut butter flavor, and the saltiness of the dogs can make you feel like you’re eating a fun treat from a carnival concession. Dip them in a peanut butter mustard mixture for even more flavor.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minute
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: about 8 corn dogs
1 gallon vegetable or peanut oil
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
1½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup corn starch
8 hot dogs
½ cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons Mighty Maple peanut butter
Special equipment: Wooden Chopsticks
1. Heat oil in a large deep pot over medium heat until it reaches 350°F
2. While the oil heats, whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a separate container, whisk peanut butter and buttermilk.
4. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
5. Place hotdogs on chopsticks and coat lightly with cornstarch
6. Fill tall drinking glass with batter and dip and twist to coat, then immediately place in hot oil to fry about 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Fry a few at a time.
7. Place on a rack to drain & serve hot with side of spicy brown mustard whisked with peanut butter